Thursday, December 20, 2012

An Alternate View




Perhaps you've noticed that I haven't posted many drawings of men on the blog. (I can hear some saying, "No surprise there!") Part of that is the fact that we have had far fewer men as models than women. The other factor may have something to do with my preferences, so here, to make up for my "disorder" is a male portrait I particularly like.  Steve is a strong guy with a great face that I have been drawing for years. This color pencil portrait in 3/4 rear view, is an angle I run into frequently when out drawing people in doctor's offices, auto mechanic's waiting rooms, car washes, etc. The nice thing about this angle is that people don't notice you working. You might be surprised by the way people get nervous when they realize I'm drawing them, so any near-rear view helps mitigate that problem.  I have to say tho', there are some who do get a kick out of an artist paying attention to them!  It's another of the real joys of drawing in public.




The larger satisfaction in working in public is "getting it right".  You have to look fast, work fast to catch the pose before things change., - and change they do!  I hold my breath when I hear a name called, hoping it's not my subject being told his car is ready! I have too many sketch-book pages of partial figures I've had to abandon. As you can see I generally work with pen in public, a deliberate choice so I'm forced to look very carefully as I draw. No changes, - it's great practice!





When I checked my sketchbooks looking for subjects turned/facing away to match Steve's pose, these two turned up - just coincidently guys bald or near-bald as Steve.  See, things sometimes do work out to produce balance without any real planning! (I wouldn't bank on that tho'!)





And speaking of symmetry, here is a second drawing of Steve to round out this page and to let you see him straight on, - nice face but a much more mundane view. Aside from the privacy it allows, that 3/4 angle I love is also positive in adding to my scant knowledge of anatomy,  especially with those bald heads! How often do you get to study skulls, cheekbones, chins and ears from this angle?  Go for it! Enjoy the view!



"The joy is in the process, not the product."  Fay Bohlayer

"Skill is less important than awareness."  Graham Collier




No comments:

Post a Comment