Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bed Time

W.C. Fields said, "The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep."

When you think about it, it's amazing how much total time we spend in bed. Ordinarily there'd be no one to observe you dreaming unless you are part of a sleep disorders research effort, but scattered among the pages of my sketch books are several drawings of my wife asleep.   Here we are in the early morning hours, she snug under the covers and I demonstrating my chronic insomnia and compulsive need to observe and draw.

For those who wonder, drawing folds in cloth is an age old drawing practice dating back to medieval times. I've drawn many a draped cloth! BTW, I've found that drawing a simple piece of crumpled paper is much like doing folds in cloth as well as excellent practice in "seeing".  Tho' simple, it's really more complicated than you might think.  Try it!

The best cure for poor drawing is to do a lot more of it.


This post is very topical!  I'm stuck in bed and out of commission for the next month, so will post when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment