Monday, July 25, 2011

Big Foot

tartin
This ample lady gave me wonderful opportunities - two tough poses with real problems in perspective and foreshortening. As you can see these were separate but similar poses, the one on the left being first.   This is a case where in contour drawing the old admonition to start with those parts closest may really be the best tactic.  In the first drawing I started with the head and upper body working down toward the feet, missing the very strong difference in size between foot and head.  While it is otherwise a decent representation of the pose, the  lower left leg and foot are much too thin and compressed, missing the dramatic contrast seen in the second. There I started at the feet working my way up to the head, being sure to note and emphasize the contrast between parts close and those at a distance.  In that respect this is a much more successful drawing than the first! 


I do wish it were possible to show that  second drawing complete here but unfortunately, it is just too large to fit in my scanner. I wonder if one of those hand-scanners that you move over the work would be a solution? 



There's another aspect of this drawing that I find attractive.  I've said in a earlier post that line  is an  reflection of reality but in the end, the product is a work of ART!   The line quality of the second is a bit more abstract, less naturalistic.  That, combined with my use of emphatic color in the line  makes the whole piece more graphic.  This  isn't at all a large departure, but it is a recognition of the creative freedom possible.  I intend to pursue this more actively in the future.  Stay tuned!


BTW, you may have noticed that I rarely post a drawing without being critical.  Why "Diss" my own work?  I've spent almost 40 years as a teacher and it's difficult to ignore my natural instinct to share whatever insights I may have regarding my art , - or any art.  As an artist I feel an obligation to those without experience and those who may be interested  in an  art  career, professional  or personal.  I want to help in any small way I can.  Even  those with only a casual interest should know what they are looking at and how to look when drawing.




Kurt Vonnegut said, "To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow."

2 comments:

  1. Phil - the hand scanners usually don't do justice to artwork. your best bet is to scan the image twice to get both sides and then reassemble it in your favorite image editing program (like Photoshop (expensive) or Gimp (free)) or use something like Autostich (also free) to piece it together for you. I've never used Autostich but I've heard good things. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cory,
    I have photoshop, - I give it a try. I just have to find time out of bed!

    ReplyDelete