Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tools of the Trade




A good friend recently did some repair work for me, things I just cannot handle myself. While a simple "thank you" might be sufficient at such times, I like to make it particularly personal. A nice home-made thank you note, pointing out his ease with tools would be the ticket, so I started sketching a collection of  hand-tools. None of those tools I drew were really saying the "Thank you!"  I thought they should so I started another, a good sized pipe-wrench , quite appropriate in this case.

The plan was a tri-fold card expressing my thanks for his expertise and quick work. Unfortunately the drawing got away from me, took on a life of iit's own, became more than card material, too well done to be folded, stuffed into an envelope and delivered by the postal service!  It's now nicely framed, hung in a proud place in his home and officially documented in my notes as Finished Drawing - "Red Fuller 14".  Naturally it does not fit my scanner so we have to be satisfied with this partial picture.

Oh, yes - I did mention the "D" word!  Documentation is an important word, but in our artists' world rarely acknowledged aloud.  A good record of your major work is essential if you and eventually (shudder!) your estate, are to maintain control of your works. If you have ever watched the popular TV show, "Antiques Roadshow" you will have heard the experts praising the collector who can prove provenance when asking for authentication or value.  My records show finish dates. titles, media and size, plus sales or auction figures with buyers names when possible. Someday someone will be gathering your work for exhibition and good records will help find owners.  Just imagine that future big museum/gallery retrospective with your works gathered from around the world, displayed for all to admire! Step aside Picasso!


"It's not our art, but our heart that's on display."   Gary Holland

"Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny."   Frank Hubbard

"If you want an accounting of your worth, count your friends."   Merry Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment