Thursday, May 23, 2013

Figure Possibilities






I've been playing around with some of my figure drawings thinking to add some interest, trying to present them as something more than just another nude. Over the years I've often added actual studio backgrounds when time permitted and found I liked the contrast but in this case I want to dispense with realistic context. A new graphic element  helps us see the design possibilities in the figure itself.

The background 'Grid' pushing up against the figure and coming forward in space provides contrast that points up the soft feminine figure and at the same time is an un-natural frame for the figure.








 It emphasizes body contours, negative space and suggests an undefined background, perhaps a window, yet does not perform the function.  So it is in a small way, a mystery.

This is a sparse post and a spare concept - just a start - working with older drawings. I think there are possibilities here.


"Becoming is superior to being." Paul Klee

"I keep very weird hours. I never know when I'm going to have an idea."   Sergio Aragones





No comments:

Post a Comment