Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Broken Pine



In the last post you saw I've been looking at trees and working with a soft pencil and softer touch, getting away from the mostly linear approach of the recent past.

I stopped in a local cemetery where I'd previously seen some interesting old maples when this poor broken pine caught my eye. The only clear view was this from the north so the tree was backlit by sun filtered through soft needles, an effect I found difficult to capture.






I's a situation I must have avoided in the past because after three attempts I'll still have to return hoping to solve or at least make more progress on the problem.

This last one on the right was my attempt to point up structure as well as some of sun's affect.








There is certainly some potential in the change from hard edge to soft but too soon to say where it may be going. I remember doing a few experimental drawings with soft graphite pencil while stuck in that miserable "Clinitron" hospital bed of a few years ago. Something there is pushing me.

Still out here working from nature, - still learning!




"To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work."  Mary Oliver

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience."  Hal Borland


No comments:

Post a Comment