Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'm Back!

This is my first posting in several months. The last was Sept 10,  just a few days before my latest surgery.  I chose this as my first since then because here I used my favorite drawing implement, the Prismacolor Pencil. I spent hours looking, re-looking and looking again to produce the highly realistic finish. Making an exact copy was important, - with form,  as shown by light & shade and hi-lights in particular, giving the illusion of substance. 

I set these objects in front of me, - an old stoneware bottle, a fairly old glass jar with a swivel stencil cutter standing up in it, - just barely below my eye level.  I liked the contrast between the solid glazed clay of the bottle and the transparency of the little 100 year old jar.  The reflections from the bottle's glaze, on the jar's internal and external surfaces distorted by the old glass give life to the whole piece.  I really enjoyed the demanding work and in the end must have done three or four versions.  

BTW, As I believe I've said in the past, - the glass jar is "transparent", - a much better word, in my opinion, than the current and extremely awkward, "see-through".


"In painting you must give the idea of the true by means of the false."  Edgar Degas  

No comments:

Post a Comment