Sunday, April 8, 2012

Factory Work


In this post we approach drawing this old factory in a "different"way. It's painting first then drawing! the reverse of most artistic progression. There's nothing wrong in using reference  when you cannot access the subject or when your purpose is to be creative. Commercial work often requires research and reference. I do some local sketches for my paintings, take multiple photographs, and use both as the basis for painting.  In this case, when finished with the painting, I sat down (sorry!) and did this quick drawing while looking both at the painting and the photos. (BTW, this drawing has become a digital print. Look below the drawing and you can make out penciled signature, title and edition number) You certainly can see the photographic
derivation of the painting but for me,
the drawing/print has more life,
more personality.

I think the next step might
be to repeat the painting but this time using the drawing as the design format and the first painting as color reference and/or point of departure. Truthfully, because I love making art, I'll use any method that gives me motivation. Using your own work as reference contributes to continuity. Your work looks more and more and more like "Your Work"!

Learning to draw well requires patience and application but you should  have fun while you are at it. Fun, for me, means having problems to solve.  Set up your work with variations, even if it's only different choices of color, change of viewpoint, purposeful distortion, or a different medium as I did here. You can learn a lot by redoing each idea at least once.  Re-solving the same problem has real benefits!

"Don't be too proud to repeat yourself."  Robert Levers

"A mere copier of nature can never produce anything great."   Sir Joshua Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment