Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Two Points




These fantasy "insects" came out of nowhere about thirty years ago as I sat doodling, - an automatic drawing started without idea or plan.  I put down a few lines and it just grew! My sketch books at that time were a venue for exploration and introspection, quite a bit more creative than many of my present doodles.  Most of the things I do today are based on observation, the subject "out there" somewhere, the art dependent on my ability to see. A good part of drawing ability IS the ability to see but sometimes (or some time) you (may) want to SAY something! This point was made during a master's critique by an insightful teacher who said, "O.K., you can draw. So what!"  It was time to sit down at the drawing table and get to work.  That time is here again.  







The drawing was done with the Rapidograph pen I spoke of a few of weeks ago, - a fine technical pen that I used in my drawing for many years, with some small added color.  The partial scan detail here on the left, larger than actual size, gives you a good idea of the variety of marks that help make this an interesting piece. One of my long held "rules" is that a work of art (at least my work) should be interesting at a distance and up close. Depending on the particular piece, "at a distance" could be anything from arms length to across the room. "Up close" referring to the work itself, - the pen stroke, paint stroke, what ever the natural mark of the chosen instrument might be. Whether the subject is emotionally charged or cool observation, the viewer should find the artist's "hand" engaging, instructive, - interesting in itself.      




          "Every artist dips his brush into his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
           Henry Ward Beecher

BTW,  Someone asked recently, where I find the quotes for this blog.  I subscribe to "Robert Genn's Painter's Keys" a free on-line art newsletter which features a listing of art-related quotes.  I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment