Sunday, July 8, 2012

Dog bite

These quick drawings are simple pen plus some very soft graphite pencil, a combination that reminds me of the stone lithography techniques I studied with Thom O'connor at SUNY Albany when I worked toward my masters many years ago.  He was the good teacher who said, "So what?!" after complementing my drawing ability. He believed that an artist should have a point of view, not just a talent to display. It's an admonition I've set aside in recent times but I still believe the basic truth in his idea.


In a bow to his words, these sketches are part of an ongoing series I call "Minor Disasters", - traumatic incidents that have adversely affected the lives of people near and far, - pertinent to even myself on occasion. You may remember the stone throwing youths of a previous post. 

Still, the technique is nice enough that regardless of message, I really enjoy it, especially the one (left) that exploits the black.  I love the contrasts between the two media, - the fine line and the soft blacks and the way some of the whites stand out as if cut paper! This combination has real potential for graphic design, illustration and, for that matter, fine art!   There are subtleties in black that can hold my eye just as well as color can.
I don't know. Perhaps I'll try it both ways.


"There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before."   Willa Cather

"The idea is more important than the object."   Damian Hirst

No comments:

Post a Comment