Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stitch


Not so long ago I posted a nude which was titled "Clipped"* because it was too large for my scanner.  I had scanned it and, in doing so, clipped off a few small parts of the figure.  A friend commented suggesting that I scan the work in two parts.  I thought then I'd address the problem at a later date. Now is the time and here is the result, - but, for the sake of variety, using a different drawing.  This drawing was so much larger (8x18") I scanned it in two parts, then using Photo Shop I "stitched" the two halves together.  Pay no attention to the "ghost" area on the left, a mistake in the stitching process. I know, without that bit, I could have published it a bit larger. I'm a slow learner. It took awhile.

Now,  after all that work I'm not very happy with the results.  With the considerable reduction from original size, the line weights are really too thin and light to be appreciated. The drawing looks much too weak over all!  If I'd known when first working it that it would be published in this format, I would have strengthened all the lines.  To show you the difference,  here below is a detail about 10% larger than original size.  See how much is missing from the "large" post above!  Even if I'd posted more enlarged sections of it, you'd still be missing the flow and character of the whole piece.  Hmm, perhaps I should post details of all drawings!



 Aside from the reproduction problem, this illustrates another, actually more important issue. While you get some information or inspiration looking at blog entries like mine, or catalog and magazine reproductions, there is absolutely no substitute for seeing the original work!  This is especially true when looking at real masters of the art, people from whom you might actually learn something.  Whenever possible, where-ever possible go to museums and galleries.  Find your favorite artists and spend time looking. Yes, go through the galleries to see the collections, but you must really spend time with a few pieces, perhaps even only one, so that you actually see and appreciate the hand of the artist.  Immerse yourself in the work, - really get to know it! Use your sketchbook, make a copy, perhaps even only an interesting part.  Looking at reproductions is good if that's your only option but you see so much more in person especially if you work at it.  It is truly amazing to see the difference! Hey, you may even fall in love!


"Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence."   Abigail Adams

"I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen. "   Frederick Franck

* You can see "clipped" at:  http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=9102505690270075786&postID=5033858345172399051

No comments:

Post a Comment