Friday, July 3, 2015

Historic Branches






While writing about the last few tree drawings, I went back into my archives and found several others demonstrating an interest in trees dating back many years. People in general seem to respond to trees in art as something easily accepted and understood. I particularly enjoy drawing trees like these that exhibit evidence of age or "history". Bent branches and truncated limbs might be interpreted as references to the injuries of work, sports or battle field, connecting our humanity, our frailties and ultimate fate.












In the past, regardless of subject, I worked much more frequently with ink rather than pencil. That one above was done more than fifteen years ago using a very fine nib pen; I'm not sure now what brand. That on the right was done more recently with my old favorite the Staedtler Pigment Liner. Because the work is simple and direct, less fussy than the first, I'm more partial to the one below.  For me it has more interest in it's overall variety and irregular shape. (Notice, tho', I haven't tossed the older one away!) My primary purpose in these posts is to address the act of drawing itself. Your interpretation and subject matter choice is strictly your business. Draw what you will -  but do draw!


"With age, art and life become one."  Georges Braque

"Pale ink is better than the most retentive memory."  Harvey MacKay

No comments:

Post a Comment